Our department draws on a comprehensive range of analytical methods for structure elucidation in both physico-chemical and cell biological investigations.
The characterization of synthesized or derivatized biomaterials is carried out with standard analytical methods of determining the structure of organic compounds. In addition, our department has a cell culture laboratory in which in vitro studies on cytocompatibility, cell viability, cell adhesion, cell differentiation, biodegradation and sterilizability can be performed. Detection of the antibiotic activity of certain materials completes our range of test methods.
The following test methods are available:
- Spectroscopic methods: FT-IR, UV-VIS, NMR (in cooperation with other research institutes)
- Molar mass determination and distribution: GPC, viscometry, MALDI-TOF-MS
- Drug release analytics: analytical and preparative HPLC
- Mechanical investigations: Compressive and tensile strength, 3-point bending strength, modulus of elasticity, shear tests
- Morphology, porosity measurements: pycnometer, REM
- Cell biological studies: Live/dead assay, WST1® and WST8® assay, CellTiter-Glo® test
- Microbial methods: BacTiter-Glo® test, CFU determination, inhibition zone assay
- Determination of biochemical parameters: immunohistochemistry
- ELISA assays
- DNA/RNA analysis: PCR, RT-PCR
- Protein analysis: SDS-Page, Western Blot, electrophoresis
- Microscopy: Incident/transmitted light microscopy, fluorescence microscopy and confocal laser scanning microscopy
In addition, there is unlimited access to the analytical methods available in the institute.