In addition to flame treatment and plasma processes, sol-gel technology is another important part of the atmospheric pressure based coating processes at INNOVENT.
Depending on the precursors used, non-metallic inorganic or hybrid polymer layers can be applied to various materials, such as: glass, metal, textiles, and plastics using a sol-gel process from colloidal dispersions. By embedding the smallest inorganic or organic particles in the layers, additional functionalities such as: scratch resistance, fluorescence properties or antibacterial effect can be achieved.
In addition to common coating processes such as dipping, spraying and doctoring, INNOVENT uses a laboratory coating plant for wet film application. This allows for a large-area, high-quality application of functional layers in the nanometer range on flat substrates, such as glass or flexible roll materials (e.g. films, textiles). The layers are applied by means of a slot nozzle or a spray application. A corona pretreatment is also possible for roll goods.
By combining sol-gel technology with various atmospheric pressure and vacuum-based processes, special functionalization and adhesive strength can be achieved. Thus, the long-term durability can be improved as well.
As a result of these various possibilities, a wide range of applications can be developed using sol-gel processes with regard to:
- Protection against plagiarism
- Corrosion protection layers
- Barrier layers
- Bactericidal layers
- Photocatalytically active layers
- High temperature resistant coatings
- Layers to reduce adhesion
- Scratch-resistant coatings
- Functional sol-gel coatings, for optimizing the demoulding behavior of moulded parts from injection moulds
- Development of sol-gel systems, for the replication of micro- and nanostructures with improved properties
- Investigation and optimization of the drying and curing behavior of sol-gel coatings on roll stock, by means of process combination
- Method for objective evaluation of edge deletion
- Surface adaptation for marine coatings using basalt flock
- Bonding layers and active edge seals, for basalt fiber composite optical components
- Antibacterial and anticorrosive easy-to-clean coatings, for glass surfaces in wet areas
- Development of a coating technology, for the production of highly corrosion-resistant powder-coated 3D components made of steel and galvanized steel
- Development of a transparent structurable plagiarism protection, on the basis of coatings containing fluorescent dyes and nanoparticles
- EHOS - Functional sol-gel systems with release effect, for the coating of plastic processing tools
- Plasma assisted photocatalytic water purification (PlaPhoWa)
The sol-gel technology team combines the expertise of chemists, materials scientists and materials engineers.
Phone: +49 3641 282551